Job Advertisement: Paralegal
The Paralegal investigates and manages a caseload of files involving the Chief Constables and Offices of the Police and Crime Commissioners of both Forces. They provide general advice and support to the organisations, reporting to Legal Advisors within the Legal Services Department shared between Devon and Cornwall Police and Dorset Police. Paralegals operate within three teams: Litigation, Operations, and Vulnerability, primarily focusing on one but supporting others as needed.
Applicant Requirement: The ideal candidate will be a former Police Officer or retired Police Officer/Police Investigator.
- Investigate and manage pre-action civil claims, inquest advice files, and contentious matters such as Inquests and Employment Tribunals.
- Handle operational matters, disclosure matters in the Family Court, internal misconduct hearings, and operational applications like Football Banning Orders and Dangerous Dog applications.
- Work with Legal Advisors and partner agencies on civil preventative orders including Domestic Violence Protection Orders and Sexual Harm Prevention Orders, and provide support in training and proactive measures.
- Provide advice and influence decision-making across the Forces.
- Research and prepare legal advice within stipulated timeframes.
- Draft legal documentation and assist in legal proceedings.
- Conduct non-contentious court applications and attend court hearings.
- Utilize Force systems to gather information and evidence.
- Assist in training delivery and safeguarding referrals.
- Negotiate settlements and maintain departmental records.
- Provide support for departmental projects and updates.
- Location: The position is based at Middlemoor HQ (Exeter).
- No Legal Experience Required: Previous paralegal experience or qualifications are not required.
- Rationale: The preference for retired officers is due to the high-profile nature of the cases involved, requiring investigative skills possessed by individuals with law enforcement backgrounds. The role entails supporting senior legal advisors by gathering evidence from various sources within the organisation, particularly related to inquests and civil claims..
- Enhanced Medical Questionnaire: A completed enhanced medical questionnaire is required.
- Preferred Candidates: The line manager wishes to consider CVs only from retired Police officers.
- Rationale for Retired Officers: The focus on retired officers stems from the need for individuals familiar with the organisation's operations and procedures related to police matters. This familiarity enables them to efficiently navigate internal systems and assess relevant material under the supervision of senior lawyers, contributing valuable skills, knowledge, and experience to the role.
If we you be interested in applying please send your CV to Lewis at Lewis.Ashcroft@servicecare.org.uk or call 01772 208962.