Welcome to an exciting career opportunity with Camden Council! We are thrilled to introduce a compelling role for a Trading Standards Officer (Intellectual Property) in the vibrant setting of Camden, London. If you are a dedicated professional in the field, eager to contribute to the delivery of Trading Standards and Consumer Protection. Please see below or contact Lewis on 01772 208962 or email Lewis.Ashcroft@ServiceCare.org.uk.
- Contribute to Trading Standards and Consumer Protection functions within Business and Consumer Services, emphasising effective investigation of complex cases, especially related to alcohol, tobacco, and Intellectual Property/counterfeit issues.
- Conduct visits to ensure compliance with legislation, support the Trading Standards Principal Officer in setting priorities, and lead liaison with relevant agencies.
- Self-motivated to lead, manage, and drive improvement, ensuring an effective service delivery.
- Keep abreast of legislative developments, draft statutory compliance documents, and attend external meetings.
- Produce performance reports for Trading Standards agencies.
- Act on local information about non-compliant traders.
- Liaise with agencies for intelligence.
- Ensure timely investigation of cases aligned with NTS and Camden Plan priorities.
- Collaborate with teams within Environmental Health and other relevant council teams.
- Foster partnerships with ACG, Immigration Officers, Camden Town Unlimited, and other BIDs.
- Monitor markets in the Real Deal initiative.
- Demonstrate familiarity with trading standards legislation.
- Follow NTS National Intelligence Model principles.
- Assist in preparing information for local tasking meetings.
- Present reports for senior managers and Public Health partners.
- Attend trading standards team meetings.
- Carry out education on legislation changes.
- Review and submit responses on license applications.
- Update TS systems and maintain the forensic laptop.
- Lead operations and participate in agency operations.
People Management Responsibilities:
- Lead investigatory officer and IP technical expert.
- Supervise or mentor apprentices and support staff.
- Provide Trading Standards guidance and training.
- Oversee work by apprentices and covert human intelligence sources.
- Reports to Business and Consumer Services Manager.
- Works closely with the Anti-Counterfeiting Group, National Trading Standards, and LTS regional intelligence analyst.
- Build effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Businesses/business representatives
- National Trading Standards
- BEIS, Department of Health, Cabinet members, and ward councillors
- Directorates and services across the Council
- Other local government and regional authorities
- Government agencies, non-government agencies.
- Mixture of office-based work, site visits, and meetings.
- Attend evening meetings or other out-of-hours events as necessary.
- Work independently with minimal supervision.
- Work in a busy office environment with competing demands.
- Work in an agile way, prioritising work within an empowered team culture.