Cook/ Chef - Full Time & Part Time
Full Time - 37.5 hours Part Time - 22.5 hours £25,000 per annum Location: Elephant and Castle
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide three meals daily (including two hot) with an emphasis on healthy eating.
- Ensure that any specialist diets on the grounds of religious beliefs, health or medical issues will be catered for.
- Deliver workshops to residents on food preparation, nutrition, meal planning and budgeting and food hygiene.
- Support residents to contribute to developing shopping lists, ordering food and making meals (where appropriate).
- To plan and prepare, where appropriate food for cooking on days when not on duty.
- To ensure the provision of adequate supplies of food and beverages are available for residents' breakfasts, suppers, and ad-hoc snacks.
- In consultation with staff and residents plan all menus to maximise variety of dietary, health, culturally and nutritional consideration
- In consultation with the staff and residents, manage that food budget of the service to maximise the nutritional benefit to residents whilst maintaining cost effectiveness.
- Maximise the use of seasonal and fresh food
- As required serve at the counter and exercise proper portion control
- Assist in enabling clients of the service to develop life skills by ensuring adequate materials and food in resident the kitchen area is accessible to all clients
- Keep the kitchen and dining room clean and tidy, including washing up all dishes pots etc,
- Deep clean all areas and equipment including fat fryer, fridge and oven and leave the kitchen tidy before going off duty.
- Ensure the service has an effective stock control system for food supplies, quality
- Check stock levels for all food stock, order all food supplies and other kitchen materials.
- Work with other staff, and as part of a team, providing cover for colleagues where necessary and help create a pleasant, friendly atmosphere in the Detox facility.
- Attend regular supervision with Line Manager and participate in relevant meetings
- NVQ Level II in Food Processing and Cooking, equivalent or higher
- Experience of coordinating and/or delivering activities and interventions to vulnerable people.
- Experience of cooking nutritional meals within a residential setting
- Understanding of Environmental Health
- Regulations relative to a catering provision
- Able to work flexibly and co-operatively as part of a team
- Evidence - based practice and training relevant to the role
- Must be able to communicate effectively, to a wide range of people, both written and verbally
About the Service:
Independent Approved Premises work with the highest-risk offenders and are a vital element in public protection arrangements. Effective security is essential for public protection, for offender management, and for the safety of staff and residents alike. They offer a level of contact, support and supervision that exists nowhere else in the probation service with the aim of protecting the public by reducing the likelihood of re-offending.