Service Care Solutions are on the look out for a Probation Service Officer in the Cornwall area.
Overview of the job
The job holder will undertake the full range of work with offenders before and after sentence. This will include assessment, sentence implementation, offender management and producing reports. The job holder will provide case management support to a full range of offenders utilising service procedures and practice directions that underpin professional judgement.
To assess and manage the risk (including risk management plans and escalation) posed by offenders to protect victims of crime and the general public by:
- Liaising, providing information and advice to criminal courts, criminal justice agencies and other partner agencies
- Supervise and manage risk of those offenders subject to community sentences, during and after custodial sentences.
- Work with other agencies and groups to prevent crime and meet the needs of victims and offenders.
In line with NPS policies and procedures, the job holder must at all times demonstrate a commitment to equality and inclusion and an understanding of their relevance to the work they do.
The post holder must adhere to all policies in respect of the sensitive/confidential nature of the information handled whilst working in this position.
If relevant to the role, some out of hours working may be required (i.e. Courts, Approved Premises, programmes, evening reporting etc)
Responsibilities, Activities & Duties
Probation Services Officers may be required to undertake any combination, or all, of the duties and responsibilities set out below.
- To undertake the full range of offender management tasks with offenders assessed as low or medium risk of harm and to support the Probation Officer grade in high risk cases.
- When providing case manager support, to contribute to the delivery of the Risk Management plan and report significant changes relating to risk of harm and/or of reoffending or any non-compliance within agreed enforcemnet procedures
- To use computer based systems to produce, update and maintain records and other documentation within agreed timescales
- Ensure effective referrals to services and facilities and communicate with offender management staff, interventions staff, service providers and external agencies to review progress and associated risks.
- To undertake prison, home or alternate location visits as required in accordance with service procedures and policies.
- To undertake work in the court setting, including the completion of appropriate reports on cases and prosecution of breaches.
- To provide cover within teams as required
- To deliver and co-lead accredited programmes commensurate with grade
- To conduct mandatory alcohol and drug tests as required, and to follow prescribed medication procedures
- Carry out safeguarding children duties in accordance with the NPS statutory responsibilities and agency policies
- Demonstrate pro-social modelling skills by consistently reinforcing pro-social behaviour and attitudes and challenging anti-social behaviour and attitudes.
- To work within the aims and values of NPS and NOMS
If you have any friends or colleagues who are interested in working for Service Care, we have a £250 referral scheme in place.