Back to Blogs
Shutterstock 717312628
Share this Article

Change from HCPC to Social Work England

  • Publish Date: Posted over 4 years ago
  • Author:by Alex Glover

If you are a Social Worker and practice in England, you may be aware that the Health and Care Professionals Council is being taken over by Social Work England. The date of the switch is Monday 2nd December 2019.

One of the Chief Executives from the Social Work England made the below statement;

“We are delighted to be able to announce that we will soon become the new specialist regulator for social workers. As a social worker, I understand the positive impact that professionals have on millions of people. I also understand the complexity of the work and the competing priorities in the role. That is why we are putting collaborative working at the heart of all we do and our recent consultation on rules and standards was just one example of this"

So, what does this mean for Social Workers who are currently registered with the HCPC?

Do I need to do anything?

No, you do not need to do anything. The transfer, including your payment of fees by direct debit if appropriate, will be automatic for everyone on the register. Social Work of England will get in touch with you week commencing Monday 2 December 2019 to reassure you this has taken place:

  • Until Monday 2 December 2019, please continue to raise any concerns with HCPC. Any work to address your concerns that has not been resolved at the point of transfer will be handed over to the appropriate teams at Social Work England. 

  • All remaining balances will be transferred to Social Work England around the date of transfer. 

  • If you have a direct debit with the HCPC do not cancel this. If you cancel your direct debit without setting up alternative payment for the full two-year period before the deadline you will be removed from the register and will not be able to practise as a social worker in England.

  • Social Work England are working with HCPC to transfer direct debits. This is subject to arranging banking permissions and the transfer of data. They will provide further information nearer the date of the transfer.

I suppose one of the questions you are asking is 'why is this happening'?

Well in its January 2016 paper. ‘A Vision for Change’, the Department for Education announced it would set up a new regulatory body for social work in England. The new regulatory body would have a 'wider remit' than HCPC to look at post-qualification, accreditation and CPD.

Should you have any further questions regarding these changes, please do not hesitate to contact your specialist social work consultant on 01772 208 964. 

A written note saying Happy Monday beside a freshly brewed coffee and a plate of pastries

Stay productive!

Let's get social...